Monday, July 03, 2006

9/11/01

My dad was a Baltimore City firefighter for over 28 years and my brother Bill is still on the Baltimore City Police force serving as a Homicide Detective, so I felt that I needed to go to New York to pay my respects to those who died without knowing and to those who gave up their life so others may live. I needed to thank and shake the hands of those who were digging in the massive rubble of the twin towers. The same hands that were trying to find and bring out our friends, family and neighboring Americans alive or dead.
I captured the images of death, destruction, pain, sorrow, respect, faith, joy, honor, trust, fear, patriotism, strength, remembrance, and helplessness.
As I walked the streets, I noticed that they were still covered with debris and dust. I then realized that I was walking amongst the dead, my shoes and pants covered with the incinerated hearts and souls of those who perished only a week earlier.
It's hard to believe that this September 11th will be the 5th anniversary of the tragic events that took place back in 01. Unlike most anniversary's this one will not be a happy one, no cake cutting, and no dancing. But it will be one of remembrance, sharing memories and feeling the spirits of those years past. As a Nation we made a promise that we would never forget, I have not - have you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home