Monday, July 03, 2006

Just an American

The evening of September 11th 2001 I had to go to work, we were the only place open on Rockville Pike. On my drive in this is what I wrote. When most people meet me they say that I don't look my age which back then was 42. What they do see is blonde hair, blue eyes and a boyish smile. What most have not seen is:
A 4 year old watching JFK get shot in Dallas
A 5 year old boy going to his first I'm An American Day Parade
A six year old first grader saying the Pledge of Allegiance for the 1st time
A chubby 8 year old wearing his brand new Cub Scout uniform
A 9 year old shedding tears as we stand by the train tracks as RFK's body passes our town onto Washington, as MLK's dreams are shattered but not dimmed by a single bullet.
A ten year old doing a report on the Eagle's landing on the moon
A 16 year old getting mom to sew his citizenship merit badge on his worn out Boy Scout uniform
A 28 year old baseball fan getting goose bumps during the National Anthem
A 42 year old numb, angry and teary eyed but proud man after the events that took place on this day.
If you have seen this in me then you know that I'm just an American.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cursief Huigje said...

A very attractive text! Greets from Belgium!

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home